Friday, January 6, 2012

Priorities of my 10 year old

Every night I tuck my children into bed. It is a time when they feel most comfortable talking about their day, especially if they have a problem or concern. Last night my youngest had a simple question. He asked what the highest paying job is. I told him probably a football or baseball player. His reaction was priceless.
He immediately was shocked and said to me " that is messed up". He couldn't believe that an athlete gets paid more then those who save and protect lives. He wanted to know why, so I explained that Americans value entertainment more. My child then decided that this is very wrong.
In this moment he said he realized what his purpose on earth is. He is to become president and fix this problem. He believes that those who protect people and save lives should be valued more then someone who is running around playing sports that are fun to play anyway.
Pretty profound for a 10 year old child. I came out of his room, looked at my husband and told him that we have raised a great kid. I couldn't have been more proud of him then in that moment. Sad thing is that if a child gets it then why don't adults?

1 comment:

  1. Sherry, beautiful. I loved this post and yes, you and your husband are doing an amazing job. Amazing people, re-produce amazing beings. <3

    ReplyDelete