Thursday, December 15, 2011

Build your own life

You can't build a good life with someone else if you haven't first built a good life for yourself.
It amazes me every time I hear someone say how they will love their life and/or be happy when the person they love does something or changes something. Your happiness is your responsibility not someone else's. If you are waiting for someone to change you need to understand that they will change in their own time not yours. People do change but it only lasts when they are doing for their own reasons, not for someone else.
So what is a person to do? Well they are to find their own happiness. Start by being independent. Their is nothing like being on your own to find who you are and what you love about yourself. When I first went to college I chose one far from home and made sure I didn't have a boyfriend when I left. I had to make all new friends and learn to be without a guy by my side to define who I was. I grew up that first year and learned things that have carried me through some though times. I learned that if you outgrow your friends then it is okay, there are a lot of people in this world to be friends with. I also learned that I didn't need a man to support me or define me. I can make it on my own and if I have someone special in my life then it is because I want them in my life, not because I need them.
You are responsible for your own happiness. It is not someone else's job to make you happy. Find who you are and what you love. When you can find happiness on your own then you can share it with the others in your life. Happiness is contagious. People around will see that it comes from within your own heart. When they ask what is making your life so grand you will know the answer. "I am making my own life grand". Happiness is yours to find. It isn't bought in a store, it comes from within.

1 comment:

  1. Sherry, this is great. I wish we could bottle this up and sell it to young girls as successfully as society sells sex, sex appeal and dating status' to them. Too bad we couldn't get more celeb/pop singers to sing and sell your words and ideals...we'd have less heartache, divorce and more peace and complete people...even for the celebs.

    ReplyDelete