Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas and chaos

What do you want for Christmas? That seems to be the question of the day lately. My kids of course have a nice short but expensive list. I noticed that the older they get the more expensive their wants get. I only buy for them on holidays and birthdays so I don't mind getting a couple of these items. If my boys want something in between they save and buy it on their own.
My list is much shorter. I don't want much of anything. A new bag for my camera, a new CD (I love music, listen to it all of the time), and some more K cups, I also need my coffee. I don't need much and I don't want more stuff. Stuff equals clutter and chaos for me. Stuff is the reason why I can't find my Christmas tree skirt right now, or the extra wrapping paper that I know I bought at the end of last year.
Stuff equals clutter and that creates chaos for me that I just don't need anymore. I have been swamped in this chaos for too long already. It gives me an excuse for every time I can't find what I am looking for. It also gives me an excuse to be lazy. I want to be done with excuses. I can't make progress if I am making excuses.
This may not be the best time of year to try to clean out the accumulated clutter but I can make sure that I do not make it worse. If I start little now then I have a better chance of success. Rome was not built in a day and my clutter won't be cleaned out in one either. I can start with one little step at a time on this journey and move forward.
So I don't want just stuff for Christmas, I want only a few items. I will have a hard enough time making room for my boys gifts that Santa may bring. I will be happy with time with loved ones, time for myself, kind words from friends. These are truly the best gifts I could receive.
Now, where did I put that tree skirt? I may just have to buy a new one this year. I hope not, I love the one my husband and I bought together 19 years ago. No, I will have to find it.
Live laugh love.

No comments:

Post a Comment