Monday, December 19, 2011

The week before Christmas

Six days from now it will be Christmas morning. Some of my friends are finished shopping some are panicking because they have not. It is the final stretch now before the big day.
I have not quite finished but I am not panicking. I am too excited to panic. I love Christmas and all of the craziness it brings. I love the baking cookies, finding just the right gift, the decorations, the carols and cartoons. I love reminding my children of the reason we celebrate. It is the birth of Jesus, his birthday.
My Christmas has not always been this great. I grew up with a mother who suffered from undiagnosed depression. The Christmas holiday always seemed to be the worse for her. She went through the motions but there was no extra excitement. The highlight for me was that she always made cut out sugar cookies with me. The rest was up to my dad. He made the holiday great for us. We picked our tree, decorated the house, and he would take a thermos of hot cocoa to the tree lighting on the green. We always tried to find something that would make my mom happy but that gift just didn't exist.
When I moved out of the house and in with my fiancé all of that changed. We bought our first tree decorated right after Thanks giving and really celebrated for four weeks straight. It was wonderful. Christmas has been like this ever since. I love this holiday and I love that my husband has helped make it be better every year. Our children love the way we celebrate. From the tree to the nativity to the nights watching the cartoons.
We never forget that we are celebrating the birth of Christ. That is always reinforced. Today I even explained the celebration of Hanukkah to the boys. It is important that they understand that there are other holidays being celebrated this time of year.
So no matter what you are celebrating over the coming weeks I hope you are happy, creating the memories that will last in the hearts of those around you. Embrace the craziness. After all, in two weeks we will begin a new year, why not make the rest of this one great?
Give yourself the gift of letting go. Let go of negativity, let go of the past, let go of what is holding you back. Then you can take this season for all that it is and truly enjoy it.
Live Laugh Love

No comments:

Post a Comment